Happy Accidents

Monday, June 06, 2005

What I feel about Felt

The past week has been Deep Throat-mania. With the self-outing of W. Mark Felt as the legendary whistle-blower, many former Nixon staffers have taken to the air to brand Felt as a traitor who was disloyal to Nixon.

While I can't say that Felt's motives were purely selfless (he did want the top post at the FBI, after all), I can say that he surely put himself at risk to help right things he saw that were wrong. Felt tried to make sure that the Nixonites (who clearly still would walk into a fire for him) wouldn't make all the evidence disappear.

I'm not sure why the Nixon crowd is so loyal. He broke the law. He violated the nation's trust. He tried to cover it all up. Why should he get a pass, Pat Buchanan? Why should Felt be the goat, Robert Novak?

I'm glad Mark Felt did what he did. It's about the only honest thing done in DC in my memory, even if it was illegal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home